Friday, October 26, 2012

Unembedded Font Error in IEEE PDF eXpress Plus

Recently when I was going to submit a camera ready version of a paper to a conference I had to do it via IEEE PDF eXpress Plus. This website provides the verification facility for our papers to check whether they meet the correct formatting requirements defined in IEEE paper templates. What I had to do is submit a PDF version of my paper through my account and check whether my paper is OK according to the IEEE standards.

I was using Latex to prepare my paper with the help of IEEE conference paper templates. However, when I initially submitted the paper to the site it was rejected with an error report. The error report mentioned that some fonts in my paper are not embedded. These fonts are Times-Italic, Times-Roman, Times-BoldItalic, Times-Bold, Helvetica and Courier. I searched the web as usual to find a solution. According to some links I found in the web there are some commands to be issued when generating my PDF from the latex source files in addition to the other usual commands I use. 

So, I issued the commands as described in those web sites and then the resulting PDF was passed by IEEE PDF eXpress Plus without any error. Since there is a high probability for me to face this error in the future again, I thought to make it available here. The followings are the commands I issued to generate my PDF from latex source files.

    latex research_paper.tex

    bibtex
research_paper.aux

    latex
research_paper.tex

    latex
research_paper.tex

    dvips -Ppdf -G0 -tletter
research_paper.dvi

    ps2pdf -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress
research_paper.ps research_paper.pdf


Web Sources:

1. http://mohamednabeel.blogspot.com/2009/10/fixing-font-not-embedded-issue-to-pass.html

2. http://www.latex-community.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11296


3 comments:

  1. You will get the best solution here for PDF EXPRESS ERROR !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an other solution. Compile using PDFlatex and generate the pdf file. Open pdf file and click on File/properties/fonts. If u don't find embedded subset beside all the fonts, then ur fonts are not embedded, so follow the below links to install ghost script and gsview, and embed fonts using gsview.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-PDF-With-Embedded-Fonts-Using-GSview

    Now when u get an error while passing through pdf express, change the settings from File/convert/properties as given in below pdf file.

    https://www.pdf-express.org/GS81-IEEEXplore_config.pdf

    Note: If u directly use the above settings before embedding the fonts, then it might not embed fonts and thereby unable to pass through pdf express.

    This worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those guidelines additionally worked to become a good way to recognize that other people online have the identical fervor like mine to grasp a great deal more around this condition. and I could assume you are an expert on this subject. Same as your blog i found another one Oracle Taleo .Actually I was looking for the same information on internet for Oracle Taleo and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete